Pre-operative Instructions for Face Lift Surgery
Face Lift surgery involves any procedure of the upper, lower or mid-face and neck and can be performed in the office or ambulatory only when our instructions are followed.
Discontinue all aspirin containing medication 2 weeks prior to surgery. Medication that contain aspirin include: Motrin, Advil, Aleve, Excedrin, Bufferin (View the complete list provided in your surgery folder).
- If you smoke, stop as soon as possible, smoking interferes with healing and can make recovery from anesthesia more difficult.
- Start taking medication prescribed to you for your Facelift before the surgery.
- Avoid drinking alcohol & wine 3 weeks before and 3 weeks after surgery.
- Avoid drinking herbal teas & herbal supplements 1 week prior to surgery. An example is: Omega Fatty Acids or fish oils.
- Stop Hormone Replacement Therapy 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after surgery.
- Avoid caffeine drinks such as coffee and energy drinks 48 hours prior to surgery.
- Do not eat or drink after midnight of the night before your surgery.
- On the morning of surgery, please wake up early and wash your hair, neck and face with the HIBICLENS Soap we prescribed you.
- Apply Bactroban Ointment inside nose with Q-Tip 2x a day for 3 days before surgery and continue for 2 weeks after your surgery.
- Do not wear nylon and synthetic underwear during the day of your surgery, instead wear cotton underwear.
- Please arrive on time; this helps us avoid any delays (with a limit of 2 family members due to small waiting room and to avoid gems).
- Please arrange for someone to take you home after your surgery. No one is allowed to travel home on their own.
- Do not wear contact lenses the day of surgery.
- My office will call you the day before surgery to inform you about the time to arrive at the office.
- If you are an out of town patient please let us know when you will be arriving in New York and where you are staying. We also need a contact number for you before your surgery and while you are here in New York (Hotel, family members, home, etc.).
- If you are having a Facelift or Brow Lift and you need to color your hair, please do so the week before surgery. You can color your hair 4 weeks after surgery.
- Purchase appropriate items for your type of surgery from the suggested shopping List.
AFTER YOUR FACE LIFT SURGERY
ACTIVITY AFTER FACELIFT
- Sleep on 2 pillows for a week.
- Apply ice compresses gently over your face.
- You will have a dressing around your face. Please keep this dressing dry for 24 hrs.
- You may shower 2 days after your surgery. Wash your hair with baby shampoo.
- You can clean the inside of your ears and facial wounds with hydrogen peroxide soaked Q-tips, and then apply Bactroban Ointment with a Q-tip 2 times a day.
- Avoid straining or bending for 2 weeks.
- Check with Dr. Rizk before resuming strenuous physical activity. You should not be driving if you are still taking pain medicine.
- Eyeglasses can be worn when your dressing is removed, and contact lenses can be inserted only if your eyes donít feel dry.
- Try to avoid sun exposure as much as you can.
- No sexual activities 3 weeks after surgery.
- Begin with bland food such as clear liquids and broths. You can advance as your body beings to tolerate the food.
- Do not drink alcohol and wine 3 weeks before surgery and 3 weeks after surgery. This will help with the recovery period.
- Avoid smoking and Nicotine because it will slow down your recovery.
Take medications as prescribed by Dr. Rizk and follow the dosage on the bottle.
If pain following surgery is mild, you can take extra strength Tylenol instead of pain medication. However, you cannot take any medication containing ibuprofen in place of pain medication.
If you encounter a sore throat due to the anesthesia used during your surgery, you should take Lozenges, such as Cepacol to relieve this temporary discomfort.
REFER TO YOUR MEDICATION SCHEDULE SHEET FOR MORE INFORMATION. THIS CAN BE FOUND IN YOUR PACKET.
WHAT TO EXPECT AFTER YOUR SURGERY
- You may experience bruising and swelling, which is normal. To minimize it, use ice packs.
- Your lips may turn dry from breathing through the mouth. To treat dry lips, you can use Vaseline, Aquaphor or Chap Stick.
- Occasionally, you may have a fever up to 101.5 in first 48 hours, which is normal.
- During the first 24 hours following Facelift Surgery, nausea or vomiting can occur. Please call us if you are experiencing severe nausea, vomiting and cannot keep any liquids down.
- You can resume social activities and return to work only if the level of physical activity and public contact is minimal. You do not want more swelling and bruising to develop. On average, our patients resume their social activities and go back to work in 2 weeks. However, this varies depending on each of our patients.
- Numbness in face and ear is normal up to a year after surgery.
- Itchy feeling is normal and is a sign of healing in the face.
- The pinkish color of incisions fades with time, use of sun block make the incisions fade faster.
You will be receiving a phone call from my office after your surgery. Please share all concerns and questions with us. Our phone number is (212) 452-3362.