Nasal Surgery Instructions
Nasal surgery involves any procedure of the nasal cavity, including sinus surgery and cosmetic procedures. Nasal surgery can be performed as an office/ambulatory procedure when the following simple instructions are followed.
Prior to your surgical procedure
- Please discontinue all aspirin containing medicines 2 weeks prior to your surgery. These medicines include: Motrin, Advil, Aleve, Excedrine, Bufferine (for a complete list please contact our office).
- Begin taking the medicine prescribed for your procedure that needs to be taken prior to surgery. An example of this is the Vitamin C 1000mg and Bactroban Ointment (Mupirocin Ointment).
- Please avoid drinking alcohol and wine 3 weeks before surgery.
- Please avoid drinking herbal teas and herbal supplements 1 week prior to surgery (St John’s Wort, Eccinechea).
- Please avoid caffeine drinks 48 hours prior to surgery (Coffee, Energy Drinks).
- Please have NOTHING to eat or drink after midnight, the night before your surgery.
- Please wear cotton underwear the day of your surgery. This may sound like an unusual request, but nylon and synthetic fabrics should be avoided in the Operating Room. Also avoid wearing Jewelry the day of surgery.
- Please arrive on time, this helps us avoid delays.
- Please arrange for an escort to take you home after your surgery. No one is allowed to travel home on their own.
- My office staff will call you before surgery to inform you about the time to arrive at the office.
- Please call your internist to discuss stopping HRT ( Hormone replacement therapy) 2 weeks before and 2weeks after surgery.
- Please discontinue All Birth Control Pills 2 Weeks Prior to surgery and 2 After Surgery.
- Patient must be off Accutane 6 months before surgery.
After Your Nasal Surgery
Everything that is written in Bold can be found in your nasal kit
- Elevate head on bed 30° to decrease swelling.
- Ice compress should be applied gently over your eyes for 2 days.
- If you have a nasal splint, keep it dry. You may bathe.
- Some drainage is normal following nasal surgery, and can contain blood stained mucous. You may have to change the drip pad several times.
- Clean the entrance of your nostrils with a Q-tip soaked in hydrogen peroxide. Apply Mupirocin ointment with a Q-tip twice/day.
- Simple Saline Spray several times a day as needed.
- Avoid strenuous activity and bending for 2 weeks and do not resume strenuous activity without asking Dr. Rizk.
- Contact lenses can be inserted the day after surgery if your eyes don’t feel dry. Do not wear glasses for 6 weeks after surgery if possible.
- Avoid sun exposure and heat as much as possible and do not drive while taking pain medication or sedatives.
- No Facials or Massages for 6 months after surgery.
- No sexual activities for 3 weeks after surgery.
- Begin with bland foods (clear liquids, broths, etc.) and advanced as tolerated.
- Avoid alcohol for 3 weeks after surgery.
- Low Salt Diet.
- Take medications as directed on your prescription (on medication bottle).
- If pain is mild, you may take extra strength Tylenol according to the manufacturer’s directions.
- Occasionally, you may encounter a sore throat due to anesthesia. Lozenges, such as Cepacol can help to relieve this temporary discomfort.
- Saline Spray is a sterile saline nasal solution that should be used 2 sprays in each nostril as often as possible. This solution is very effective in lubricating your nose and can be used whenever you feel dry.
- Arnica Pills should be used the day after surgery, 5 pellets under tongue 3x a day.
PLEASE REFER TO YOUR MEDICATION SCHEDULE SHEET FOR MORE INFORMATION ON WHEN TO TAKE YOUR MEDICATIONS. THIS WAS PROVIDED IN YOUR PACKET.
WHAT TO EXPECT AFTER YOUR SURGERY
- Some bruising and swelling is normal but icing well we help to minimize these affects.
- Your lips may become dry from breathing through your mouth; you may use Vaseline or Chap Stick to lubricate them.
- Fever up to 101.5 is normal for first 2 days after surgery.
- Nausea or vomiting can occur after your surgery for the first 24 hours following surgery. Please notify us if you are experiencing severe nausea and vomiting and are unable to keep liquids down.
- You will be receiving a phone call from our office after your surgery. Please share all concerns and questions with us. Our phone number is 212-452-3362.
Do not blow your nose for at least 2 weeks after surgery.
We want your experience to be a pleasant and healthy one.