Surgical Rhinoplasty vs. Non Surgical Nose Job
The popularity of non-surgical nose jobs has been increasing in the past several years. A non-surgical rhinoplasty is performed by injecting dermal fillers into the skin on and around the nose to create a change in the nose’s shape and contour. The fillers can be used to correct asymmetries, smooth out bumps, and add volume to depressions on the nasal bridge. Our New York plastic surgeon has found great success in correcting the nasal tip and improving the appearance of bumps on the nose through non-surgical rhinoplasty. If you are unhappy with the appearance of your nose, you may be wondering if you are a good candidate for a non-surgical rhinoplasty. While a non-surgical nose job will not provide permanent results, it can be a great option for many patients who seek an alternative to traditional rhinoplasty.
Advantages of Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty
- No downtime. There is no recovery period or downtime after a non-surgical rhinoplasty. Many patients have their procedure performed during their lunch break and return to work immediately afterwards. With a traditional rhinoplasty, patients usually require one to two weeks before resuming normal activities.
- Less Expensive. Non-surgical rhinoplasties are far less expensive than traditional nose jobs, but results are not permanent like rhinoplasty.
- Try out a new look before committing. A non surgical nose job provides the patient with an easy and quick way to see how their appearance could be altered through nose surgery. If they love their new look, they may opt for a traditional rhinoplasty to maintain the result.
- Pain-Free. The procedure is relatively pain-free. Some patients experience mild discomfort during the injection, but this is minor compared to the discomfort associated with a traditional rhinoplasty.
- Few Side Effects. There is a lower risk of complications associated with non-surgical rhinoplasty in comparison to traditional rhinoplasty.
- Lower risk of infection. Because this is not a nose surgery and is not invasive or surgical, there is a much lower risk of infection.
Disadvantages of Non Surgical Nose Jobs
- Does not provide a permanent change. While the results may last for a year or longer, a non-surgical rhinoplasty cannot provide a lasting change. Only surgical rhinoplasty can produce a result that lasts forever.
- Cannot address all cosmetic problems. Non-surgical nose jobs can only address certain problems, such as filling depressions, smoothing out bumps, lifting the nasal tip, and correcting asymmetries. It cannot be used to make the nose smaller, eliminate a hump, or narrow the nasal tip.
- Cannot address functional problems. Non-surgical rhinoplasty is not appropriate for patients who wish to correct functional problems of the nose, such as a deviated septum or difficulty breathing through the nose.
- Adverse reactions to dermal fillers. While rare, some patients experience adverse reactions to dermal fillers, so are not good candidates for non-surgical rhinoplasty.
Our NY doctor is highly experienced in performing both traditional and non-surgical nose jobs. To find out if you’re a good candidate for rhinoplasty, please contact us at our NYC office today to set up an initial consultation.
Written by Dr. Sam Rizk