Dr. Rizk is a recognized expert on the latest advances in facial plastic surgery techniques and has written and lectured extensively on current concepts. He is a double board certified New York facial plastic surgeon and is director of Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgery, PLLC.
Dr. Rizk is known for his unique and innovative techniques for natural and beautifully sculpted noses. He was one of first to do the combined endonasal rhinoplasty and sinus/septal surgery procedures (article published in annals of plastic surgery), the pioneer of the 3 dimentional-virtual rhinoplasty surgery, which has dramatically increased precision and decreased recovery for rhinoplasty surgery. He teaches these techniques at conferences worldwide. He is also known for his revision rhinoplasty surgery where he restores and corrects collapses, saddle noses, asymmetric noses, drooping tips, and hanging columellas and also improves the patient's breathing ability. Dr. Rizk uses tissue glue instead of conventional packing after rhinoplasty. He feels packing creates more swelling, is painful, and distorts the appearance of the nose.
He is also known for his expertise in the most advanced techniques in facelift, necklift, eyelid surgery and rhinoplasty. His goal is to provide a natural and long-lasting result with a rapid recovery. He has developed techniques and incorporates the use of various tissue sealants as well as shorter scars for a more rapid recovery and quicker return to normal daily activities.
Dr. Rizk's training includes an accelerated honors program at the University of Michigan Medical School in Ann Arbor where he received a medical degree. At the University of Michigan, Dr. Rizk was part of the integrated pre-medical medical school program (Inteflex) which accepted students directly from high school. Dr. Rizk then did an internship in general surgery at Lenox Hill Hospital, then a residency in Otolaryngology/head and neck surgery/facial plastic surgery at New York Hospital and Manhattan Eye, Ear and Throat Hospital. Finally, he did an American Academy of Facial Plastic Surgery - Certified fellowship in Facial Plastic Surgery in California. He then returned to his native New York to open a private practice and join the staff of Manhattan Eye, Ear and Throat Hospital and Lenox Hill Hospital, both New York University Medical School affiliates, to teach and practice facial plastic surgery.
Dr. Rizk brings you 16 years of combined surgical experience which includes not only cosmetic surgery but reconstructive surgery and head and neck surgery at some of NYC's best hospitals including New York Hospital, Memorial Sloan-kettering Cancer Center, Lenox Hill Hospital and Manhattan Eye, Ear and Throat Hospitals. He has developed his own techniques and published methods for tailoring and customizing his procedures to the patient's facial structure and degree of aging, rather than "one size" (or in this case one procedure) for all. His advances in the field with tissue sealants, high definition 3d telescopes as well as the stronger Endotines instead of stitches have resulted in natural outcomes with a rapid recovery and hidden, smaller incisions. As younger patients and more male patients are requesting cosmetic facial procedures, Dr. Rizk believes his newer techniques are tailored to these patient populations. To that end, Dr. Rizk published some landmark articles on facelift/rhinoplasty/blepharoplasty surgery-describing new techniques to be applied differently to younger and older patients. His Medical textbook contributions address many issues for rapid recovery as well as custom approaches for rhinoplasty and facelift surgery. His article in Plastic and Reconstructive surgery journal provides a new algorithm for evaluating the lower lid, including the scarless transconjunctival approach and fat repositioning instead of removal to avoid the hollow look.
Dr. Rizk has been recognized for his humanitarian efforts, performing free reconstructive surgery and operating on those in need. An active member of the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (AAFPRS) FACE-TO-FACE Program, Dr. Rizk uses his surgical expertise to improve lives. Dr. Rizk is also on the medical advisory board of Little Baby Face Foundation. To read more about Dr. Rizk's humanitarian work, click here.
Sam Rizk, MD, FACS, is a double-board certified facial plastic surgeon, who is known for his surgical outcomes, advanced techniques and ground-breaking work in facial plastic surgery. He has been honored for his innovative work in the field with induction into The Rhinoplasty Society, a non-profit organization comprised of the most respected nasal surgeons in the world. Membership is through invitation only and is extended to industry trailblazers, like Dr. Rizk, who are deeply committed to aesthetic and reconstructive nasal surgery.
- Manhattan Eye, Ear and Throat Hospital - NY NY
- Lenox Hill Hospital - NY NY
- Diplomate, National Board of Medical Examiners
- Diplomate, Faculty of American College of Surgeons
- Diplomate, American Board of Facial Plastic Surgery (link)
- Diplomate, American Board of Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery
- Diplomate, American Board of Facial Plastic Surgery
- Diplomate. American board of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
- Board Certified-American Board of Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
- Board certified-American Board of Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery
Medical Society Memberships:
- American Academy of Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
- Faculty of American College of Surgeons - FACS
- American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery
- New York Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery Society
- Medical Society of the State of New York
- New Jersey Academy of Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
- Member of Face-to-Face Committee AAFPRS 2008-2011, Volunteer
and Involved with Acid Survivor Deformity Program
- Member of Emerging Technology Committee AAFPRS 2008-2011
- The Rhinoplasty Society, Inc.
Internship/Residency: Department of General Surgery
Lenox Hill Hospital, New York, New York
Residency: Department of Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery
Manhattan Eye, Ear, & Throat Hospital and New York Hospital, (NY, NY)
(Rotations: Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York Hospital-Cornell Medical Center, Lenox Hill Hospital, Chief Resident, 1998-1999)
Fellowship: Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery- American Academy of Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery accredited fellowship, California
Honors and Awards:
- Selected as a Top Doctors listed in Castle Connolly's 2012 Top Doctors: New York Metro Area
- Chosen as Castle Connolly Top Doctor - 2011 as well. Castle Connolly Medical Ltd., publishes an annual guidebook titled Top Doctors: New York Metro Area, which lists the top 10 percent of the region's physicians based on recommendation by their peers and is the most prestigious Top Doctors Rating in the United States
- Chosen as Castle Connolly Top Doctor - 2010
- Chosen as Castle Connolly Top Doctors: New York Metro Area,
2009-12th edition (selection process is by peers only)
- Castle Connolly- Included in America’s Top Cosmetic Docs-2003,2004,2005-Facial Plastic Surgery
- Who's Who In America
- Panel Moderator- Northeast Society of Plastic Surgeons Rhinoplasty Panel-1996
- Harvard University Scholarship-1984
- William J. Branstrom Awardee (upper 5% college freshman), 1986
- Dean’s Honor List-University of Michigan, 1986-89
- Golden Key National Honor Society- University of Michigan
- University of Michigan Research Fellowship Awardee, 1988 &1989
- NIH Research Grant Fellowship Awardee- 1990
- University of Michigan Graduation -Basic Science Research Award- 1993
- Residency- Chief Resident-Manhattan Eye, Ear, & Throat Hospital -1998-1999
- Faculty-American College of Surgeons (FACS)
Journal Article Reviewer:
Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery Journal-Editorial Review Board
Bibliography - Books:
Rizk, SS. "Frontoplastia". Cirurgia Estética Da Região Frontal. Antonio Graziosi and Fausto Viterbo. Rio de Janeiro:MedBook, 2011. 155-162
Rizk, SS. "The New Face: A High 3D Approach for Natural, Enduring Rejuvenation"
Rizk, SS. Restoring the Drooping Tip and Hanging Columella in Revision Rhinoplasty. Pending publication. 2012.
Matarasso, A, Rizk, SS. Short Scar facelifts and Tissue Glue. Chapter in Tissue Glues In Cosmetic Surgery, ed. By Renato Saltz & Dean Toriumi. QMP Medial Publishers, October, 2003
Bibliography – Professional Journal Publications:
Rizk, SS. Ethnic Rhinoplasty Pearls-A natural approach to Ehnic Preservation rhinoplasty. Published in Plastic Surgery Practice Journal. January 2011.
Rizk, SS. Customized facelift and Rhinoplasty - the surgical artist. Published as cover story in Plastic Surgery Practice Journal. November 2009.
Rizk, SS. Rhinoplasty in 3D - A high definition approach to natural nasal beauty. Published in Plastic Surgery Practice. November 2009; 22-23.
Rizk, SS. New Cartilage Sculpting Techniques for a smoother result in Primary and Revision Rhinoplasty. Submitted to Archives of Facial Plastic Surgery. Pending publication. 2010.
Rizk, SS., Zimm J. A New Customized Facelift Approach to Achieve a Natural Result. Submitted to Aesthetic Surgery Journal. Pending publication. 2010.
Rizk, SS. Successful Management of Methicillin - Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus Orbital Cellulitis After Blepharoplasty. Published in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Journal. December 2010; 126(6): 305-307.
Rizk, SS. Latest Advances in Facelift. Plastic Surgery Practice Journal. November 2009; 10-11, 16.
Rizk, SS. Latest Advances in Facelifting/Necklifting. Plastic Surgery
Practice Journal. December, 2008
Rizk SS, Zoumalan R. Tissue Glue in Deep Plane Facelifts. Archives of Facial Plastic Surgery 2008; 10(2); 103-107.
Rizk SS, Matarasso, A. Short Scar facelift with use of Fibrin Sealant. Dermatologic Clinics 2005; 23: 495-504
Rizk SS, Bernstein Leslie. The incidence of hematoma in Facelifts with an Open Postauricular Incision as a drain. Submitted- Archives of Facial Plastic Surgery. Pending Publication.
Rizk SS, Rosenberg D. Algorithm for Analysis and Correction of Nasal Tip Deformities in Revision Rhinoplasty. (presentation accepted for AAFPRS meeting, CA, September, 2005.
Rizk SS, Edelstein DR, Matarasso A. Concurrent Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery and Rhinoplasty. Annals of Plastic Surgery 1997; 38: 323-329. (panel discussion leader and presented at Northeast Society of plastic surgeons meeting, Washington, DC, October, 1996)
Rizk SS, Edelstein DR, Matarasso A. Concurrent Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery and Rhinoplasty. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery- International Abstracts 1998; 102: 2280-2281.
Rizk SS. Rapid Recovery Rhinoplasty. (presentation and accepted for publication in Archives of Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery)
Rizk SS. Hemifacial Atrophy-a case report and analysis. Submitted to Archives of Facial Plastic Surgery.
Romo III T, Rizk SS, Suh J. Mucous Cyst Formation Following Rhinoplasty. Archives of Facial Plastic Surgery 1999; 1: 208-211.
Rizk SS, Papageorge A, Sacks E. Bilateral Simultaneous Orbital Decompression for Graves’ Orbitopathy Using a Combined Endoscopic and Caldwell- Luc Approach. Otolaryngology- Head & Neck Surgery 2000; 122: 216-221.
Rizk SS, Matarasso, A. Lower Eyelid Blepharoplasty: Analysis of Indications and the Treatment of 100 Patients. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 2003;111: 1299-1306. Also presentation at the Northeast Society of Plastic Surgeons Conference, October, 2001, Philadelphia, PA (Selected for PRESS RELEASE 3/03)
Kraus D, Orlikoff R, Rizk SS,et al. Arytenoid Adduction as an Adjunct to Type I Thyroplasty for Unilateral Vocal Cord Paralysis. Head & Neck 1999; 21: 52-59. Myers MW, Quirk WS, Rizk SS, Miller JM, Altschuler RA. Expression of the major mammalian stress protein in the rat cochlea following transient ischemia. Laryngoscope 1992; 102: 981-98. Recipient First Prize- Basic science research category (Middle States Triologic Society)
Rizk SS, Schoenberg ED, Castronuovo JJ, Filippone AL. The effectiveness and cost of transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation for the relief of postoperative pain. American Journal of Pain Management 1992; 2: 138-142
Rizk SS, Komisar A, Kacker A. Need for tracheostomy is rare in patients with acute supraglottitis: Findings of a retrospective study. ENT Journal 2000;79: 952-957
Rizk SS, Kraus D, Gersheim G, Mudan S. Aggressive combination treatment for invasive fungal sinusitis in immunocompromised patients. ENT Journal 2000;79: 278-285.
Tadros M, Rizk SS, Opher E, Thompson LR. Polymorphous Hemangioendothelioma of the Neck. Annals of Diagnostic Pathology. In-Press.
Steiner, MG, Rizk SS, Kuhel WI. Expression of VLA (B1) Integrins in a Recurrent Pleomorphic Adenoma Cell Line. Laryngoscope.
Rizk SS. Expression of VLA (B1). Intergrins in a recurrent pleomorphic adenoma cell Line. Otolargyngology- Head and Neck Surgery, August 1997; 117: 80.
Panelist/Instructor/Invited Lecturer - Plastic Surgery Conferences:
- "Technology and Rhinoplasty - Instrumentation We Have Found Useful for Improving Accuracy in Nasal Bridge Reduction as Well as Cartilage Sculpting" - presented at the Vegas Cosmetic Surgery 2012 Conference and also as Panel Moderator "Considerations in Ethnic Rhinoplasty" - Las Vegas, June 2012
- "Latest Advances in Facelift/Necklift Surgery" - presented at the FACE Conference and Exhibition - London, UK, June 2012
- "Latest Advances in Rhinoplasty Surgery" - presented at the International Federation of Facial Plastic Surgery Societies (IFPSS) Conference - Rome, Italy, May 2012
- "High definition Modern Approaches to Minimally Invasive Natural Rhinoplasty" - presented at Brazilian Society of Plastic Surgeon Conference - Dr. Rizk also Panel Moderator-Rhinoplasty New Techniques-San Paulo, Brazil, 2009
- Airway Evaluation before Rhinoplasty and Prevention of Airway Problems after Rhinoplasty-lecturer and panelist - Rhinoplasty Society Meeting-ASAPS meeting, Orlando, FL, April, 2006
- Challenging Rhinoplasty-AAFPRS Winter Symposium-Snowmass, CO, February, 2003
- Rhinoplasty-My Preferred Technique-Northeast Society of Plastic Surgeons-Washington, DC, 1996
- Rhinoplasty-Rapid Recovery Technique-American Academy of Facial Plastic Surgery-Los Angeles,CA,2005
- Rhinoplasty-Algorithm for analysis and Correction of Nasal Tip Deformities in Revision Rhinoplasty-American Academy of Facial Plastic Surgery, Los Angeles, CA, 2005
- Endonasal Rhinoplasty Techniques-Northeast Society of Plastic Surgeons- Panel leader- -Washington, DC and published in Annals of Plastic Surgery, April, 1997-vol.38,number 4-pp-323-329.
- Instructor-“The Art of Rhinoplasty”-A Practical Rhinoplasty Course- Director, Leslie Bernstein, M.D- U.C. San Francisco Medical School, California- November 12-15, 1999
- "Customized facelift approach" - presented as course at International Facial Plastic Surgery Conference, Fl, 2010
- Invited as Rhinoplasty Panel Moderator/lecturer on Rhinoplasty in 21st Century-at International Conference of the Brazilian Society of Plastic Surgeons-November, 2009, San Paulo, Brazil
- Invited as featured guest speaker at FACE meeting June 13,
2009 at Royal College Of Physicians In LONDON, UK to lecture on
Endotine Use in the Modern Rapid Recovery Facelift
- Course Director-Live Surgery Workshop- Latest advances in
Three-dimentional-high definition Rapid Recovery Facelift and
Necklift Surgery-course sponsored by
American Academy of Cosmetic
Surgery (AACS)-Park Avenue Facial Surgery-New York, NY-June, 2009
- Rapid Recovery Facelift/Necklift with Tissue glue lecture at
American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Annual Winter Symposium-Telluride, Colorado-January, 2009
- New Technique in Male Facelift and Necklift Surgery for
Natural Outcome with Parotid Reduction-Invited lecturer to
American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery Annual
- Latest Advances in Facelift and Necklift Surgery-Grand Rounds
Invited Lecturer At Lenox Hill Hospital, NY, New York- October,
- Customized Facelift Approach-A New Concept in Facial Plastic
Surgery-Grand Rounds Invited lecturer at New York Hospital,
Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery-February, 2007
- Rapid Recovery Facelifts-Annual Meeting-American Academy of Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery-May 2004
- Facelifts-My Preferred Technique-AAFPRS Winter Symposium-Snowmass, CO, February, 2003
- American Academy of Facial plastic Surgery National Meeting-September-2004-Algorithm for facelifts-customizing the lift to the patient’s anatomy-NY, NY
- American Academy of Facial Plastic Surgery National Meeting-September-2004-Rapid Recovery Facelifts-NY, NY
- American Academy of Facial Plastic Surgery National Conference-September-2005-Challenging Revision Rhinoplasty, Rapid Recovery Rhinoplasty- CA
Honored Guest Speaker at the Harmonie Club: Advances in Facial Plastic Surgery - December 2, 2013
14th Annual Mount Sinai Symposium: Advances in Medical and Surgical Dermatology- December 9-11, 2011
Rapid Recovery Facelift With Tissue Glues - AAFPRS 1/09
New Technique for Male Facelift - AACS 1/09
Grand Round Invited Guest Lecturer at Lenox Hill Hospital - Latest Advances in Facelift Surgery - September 22, 2008
Grand Round Invited Guest Lecturer at NYH-Cornell - Cutomizing Facelift to the Patient's Degree of Aging - February 1, 2007
Winter Symposium-sponsored by American Academy of Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery-Snomass, CO, February, 2003
- The Long Nose Short
- Scar Facelift and Tissel glue
Facial Plastic Surgery Forum-Manhattan Eye, Ear & Throat Hospital
Facelift Anatomy and Avoiding Complications in Deep Plane and SMAS Facelifts-2/1998
Blepharoplasty-the art and science of blepharoplasty-artistic sculpturing of the eye for a natural, rejuvenated result
Grand Rounds-Lenox Hill Hospital-Department of Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery-Division of facial plastic surgery
- 2/2003 - Facelifts-which facelift Technique to choose when?- based on patient’s anatomy and degree of aging
- 10/2002 - Algorithim for Lower Eyelid Rejuvenation
- 2/2004 - Revision Rhinoplasty-Open versus closed techniques-when to utilize which technique for optimal results
Northeast Society of Plastic Surgeons Annual National Conference
- 1996 - Concurrent Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery and Rhinoplasty Panel Moderator on- “Rhinoplasty Forum- Aesthetic & Functional Issues” – Washington, DC
- 2001 - Lower Eyelid Blepharoplasty: An Algorithm for the Analysis of Indications And Treatment- October, Philadelphia, PA Panel Moderator on –“Lower eyelid blepharoplasty-indications and techniques”
Facial Plastics & Reconstructive Surgery Instructor- Manhattan Eye, Ear & Throat Hospital(New York, NY) Panel discussions:
- 1995 - Facial Plastics Photography & Cephalometrics
- 1996 - Blepharoplasty: Analysis, Preoperative & Postoperative Care
- 1997 - Browlifts: Endoscopic vs. Conventional Techniques
- 1998 - Facelifts : Preoperative Assessment, Techniques & Complications
American Rhinologic Society Annual Meeting (Washington, DC)
- 1996 Invasive Fungal Sinusitis in Immunocompromised Patients
International Symposium on Phonosurgery (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1996 Type I Thyroplasty for Unilateral Vocal Cord Paralysis in Intrathoracic Malignancy
American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery Annual Meeting (San Francisco, CA)
- 1997 Bilateral Simultaneous Orbital Decompression for Graves’ Orbitopathy Using a Combined Endoscopic and Caldwell-Luc Approach
- 1997 Expression of VLA Integrins in a Recurrent Pleomorphic Adenoma Cell Line
American Society of Head & Neck Surgery Annual Meeting
- 1997 - Arytenoid Adduction as an Adjunct to Type I Thyroplasty for Unilateral Vocal Cord Paralysis
- 1990 - Vascularized and Conventional Interposition Nerve Grafts- a Histomorphologic Comparison in the Rabbit
Grand Rounds-Lenox Hill Hospital, Department of General Surgery (New York, NY)
- 1994 Laryngeal Carcinoma
- 1995 Parotid Gland Tumors
Grand Rounds-Lenox Hill Hospital, Department of Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery (New York, NY)
- 1996 Cervical Teratomas- a Case Report and Literature Review
- 1999 Cutaneous Melanoma
- 1999 Otolaryngologic Manifestations of Gastroesophageal Reflux
Head and Neck Gross Anatomy Dissection Course-Cornell Medical School (New York, NY)
- 1995 Topographic Head and Neck Anatomy, Triangles of the Neck, Fascial Planes, Deep Neck Space Infections
- 1996 Thyroid and Parathyroids, Trachea, Bronchi, Esophagus
- 1997 Blepharoplasty Techniques and the Orbit
- 1998 Facelift Flap, Nasal dissection, Osteoplastic Flap
Continuing Medical Education:
- 1995 - Advanced Facial Soft Tissue Surgery Workshop- Manhattan Eye, Ear & Throat Hospital
- 1998 - Laser Applications For The Office Setting- Manhattan Eye, Ear & Throat Hospital
- 1998 - Advances in Aesthetic Plastic Surgery: The Cutting Edge II-Waldorf-Astoria, New York
- 1997 - Advanced Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery Course-Manhattan Eye, Ear & Throat Hospital
- 1997 - Current Concepts in Head & Neck Surgery- Memorial Sloan- Kettering Cancer Center
- 2001 - Symposium on latest advances in cosmetic surgery of the face-Newport Beach, CA-
- 2002 - Rhinoplasty course-University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA (October, 2002)
- 2003 - American Academy of Facial Plastic Surgery Winter Symposium-Snowmass, CO
- 2004 - American Academy of Facial Plastic Surgery Annual Meeting- New York, NY
- 2005 - Rhinoplasty course-University of Chicago, Chicago- (June, 2005)
- 2005 - American Academy of Facial Plastic Surgery Annual Meeting-CA (September, 2005)
Click here to view Dr. Rizk's complete CV.