Treating a Nasal Blockage with Nasal Surgery
Posted by Dr. Sam Rizk February, 02/09/2021 - 09:36 AM
A stuffed nose or nasal blockage can have a big impact on your life. Breathing difficulties can hinder you during sports, sleep but also affect your general quality of life. There are many causes for a nose to be blocked such as a deviated septum, rhinitis, sinusitis, polyps, or other nasal conditions. Treating a nasal blockage with nasal surgery is possible.
Dr. Sam Rizk is a double-board certified plastic surgeon and specialized in nose and sinus surgery in his New York office. He understands both the medical as the aesthetic part of nose surgery and is dedicated to achieving the best results for his NYC patients with minimal scarring or downtime. He shares his knowledge about treating a nasal blockage with nasal surgery in New York.
What Is A Nasal Blockage?
Any obstruction of the normal airflow in your nose is called a nasal blockage. Your nose can be stuffed because of an infection or an allergy. But it is also possible that you have deformation such as a deviated septum. In this case, the wall of bones and cartilage that separates the two nasal chambers is not centered so the air cannot enter and exit equally.
Almost 80% of all people have some form of septum deviation. Other nasal conditions are quite common as well, such as sinusitis (11,6% of the U.S. population diagnosed) and allergic rhinitis (20% diagnosed). And many people suffer from nasal blockage but have not been diagnosed yet.
What Are The Treatment Options?
Some conditions can be treated with a nasal spray. When the cause is allergic, antihistamine tablets may ease the symptoms and can improve the quality of life. However, not everyone wants to use medication for their entire life or the medication may not give sufficient relief.
In the case of polyps or a deviated septum, medication is not a treatment option. So, the first thing to do when you look for a treatment to ease your nasal blockage is to book a consultation with a nose specialist. When you have the correct diagnosis you can explore the best treatment options.
Treating A Nasal Blockage With Nasal Surgery In New York
There are many excellent surgical options to treat a nasal blockage in New York. It will depend on your diagnosis, personal situation, and a medical condition which treatment is the best for you.
- Septoplasty – a surgical procedure that corrects a deviated septum by repositioning the septum to the center of the nose. It will be easier to breathe when the nasal chambers are equal in size.
- Turbinoplasty – a surgical procedure to reduce the size of swellings (turbinates) on the sidewalls of nasal passageways. This treatment is fit for people with nasal inflammations caused by allergic or non-allergic rhinitis for example.
- Sinus surgery – common procedure to treat sinusitis, chronic inflammation of the sinuses. Its purpose is to enlarge the openings between the sinuses so it is easier to breathe.
- Rhinoplasty – this procedure is mostly known as an aesthetical one, but can also improve the functionality if a nasal deformity causes the nasal blockage.
- Septorhinoplasty – this surgical option is the combination of septoplasty and rhinoplasty to improve both the functionality and aesthetics of the nose.
Book An NYC Consultation To Treat Nasal Blockage
Many people go around for years with chronic nasal blockages and related discomfort. If you are ready to address this issue and ease your nasal discomfort, go and see a specialist with ample experience. Dr. Sam Rizk is an NYC rhinoplasty expert, who performs hundreds of NYC rhinoplasty and other nasal procedures per year.
As a double board-certified facial plastic surgeon, he is trained to enhance both the medical and aesthetic sides of nasal surgery. Book a consultation today to get a correct diagnosis and learn more about the treatment options available to you.
- Chin Implant Before & After
- Ear Surgery
- Facial Plastic Surgery
- Facial Rejuvenation
- Facial Surgery
- Lip Enhancement
- Male Plastic Surgery
- Neck Lift
- Revision Rhinoplasty
- Rhinoplasty Before & After
- Scarless Healing
- Sinus Surgery
- Teen Rhinoplasty