Why More Patients Opt to Have Multiple Facial Plastic Surgery Procedures at Once
Posted by Dr. Sam Rizk November, 11/10/2021 - 10:30 AM
Dr. Rizk has noticed an increase in the number of patients who choose to have 3-5 facial plastic surgery procedures in one day. No doubt, this is in response to celebrities such as “The Hills” star, Heidi Montag, who had 10 surgical procedures at once – including 6 on her face and neck!
Keep reading to understand the pros and cons, according to Dr. Rizk.
What are the main advantages of combining procedures?
Advancements in surgical techniques and modern technology mean that multiple surgical procedures can be combined with much greater safety than in the past. The benefits of this approach can far outweigh any of the disadvantages because:
- There’s a combined recovery period: With the increasingly busy lives we all lead, the most obvious advantage of combining several procedures in one sitting is that it saves time. Even with multiple surgeries, there is only one recovery time – which may be helpful if you don’t want to take additional time off work.
- General anesthesia is only administered once: Plastic surgery is typically performed under a general anesthetic. Most complications arise when you are going under or coming out of anesthesia. Thus, if you are only having one anesthetic rather than multiple doses it’s less risky.
- Costs are lower: Undergoing several procedures simultaneously will save you money. Dr. Rizk’s fees are likely to be lower, and you will not have to pay for multiple other costs, such as anesthesiologist or operating room fees.
- It’s satisfying to see significant changes: You can achieve all of your esthetic goals at once. After you have recovered from your surgery, the changes to your appearance will be significant.
- Multiple changes provide harmonious results: It makes sense if you have had, for example, a facelift to create a firmer jawline that other areas of your face are in harmony. Thus, popular procedures, such as blepharoplasty or laser skin resurfacing, are often combined with facelifts to give an overall more youthful and natural-looking appearance.
When is combining facial plastic surgery procedures not a good idea?
When combining multiple surgeries, safety is paramount. That said, it’s important to note that all surgical procedures carry a small degree of risk. However, the additional risks for multiple procedures could mean this approach is not suitable for everybody.
- You will need a longer recovery: Combining surgical procedures into one session may seem appealing, but the recovery period is likely to be more painful and longer because your body will need more time to heal.
- Longer anesthesia carries a risk: Although there isn’t a specific time limit on being under anesthesia, longer than around 6 hours may increase risk. This is a distinct issue if two major procedures are combined, although it depends on the complexity and length of each one. Thus, while a facelift and rhinoplasty may be carried out at the same time for a young person, for an older patient who requires more extensive surgery to the face and neck it may not be recommended.
To learn more about combining facial plastic surgery procedures, contact our office and set an appointment with Dr. Rizk.
By Dr. Sam S. Rizk, M.D., FACS.
Dr. Rizk is a double board-certified facial plastic surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty surgery and a recognized expert on the latest advances in facial plastic surgery techniques. He performs a range of facial plastic surgeries at his New York practice.
- Anti-aging Procedures
- Chin Implant Before & After
- Ear Surgery
- Facial Plastic Surgery
- Facial Rejuvenation
- Facial Surgery
- Lip Enhancement
- Male Plastic Surgery
- Neck Lift
- Revision Rhinoplasty
- Rhinoplasty Before & After
- Scarless Healing
- Sinus Surgery
- Teen Rhinoplasty
- Trending Procedures