About Us Page
Sam Rizk, M.D., F.A.C.S., is an internationally-renowned expert in the complex field of facial plastic and reconstructive surgery. He is frequently contacted by colleagues and worldwide media to offer his unique opinions. Named one of New York City's top plastic surgeons, Dr. Rizk is known for his artistic approach to surgical procedures. He is an expert in the most advanced facelift, neck lift, eyelid surgery, and rhinoplasty techniques; and is a fellow of the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.
As a recognized specialist on the latest advances in facial plastic surgery techniques, Dr. Rizk has written and lectured extensively on current concepts related to rhinoplasties, neck lifts, facelifts, and other facial plastic surgery procedures. Dr. Rizk is a double board-certified New York facial plastic surgeon and director of Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgery, PLLC.
Dr. Rizk is one of a few NYC plastic surgeons who have achieved double board-certification in facial plastic and reconstructive surgery as well as head and neck surgery. He is the director of a JCAHO accredited surgical suite, Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgery, PLLC. Additionally, Dr. Rizk is a Realself Top Doctor, where he relies on more than 20 years of combined experience to professionally answer questions sent by patients from around the globe.
Furthermore, Dr. Rizk has been chosen as one of Castle Connolly's Best Doctors in the NY Metro Area for facial plastic surgery. He has been featured on many popular television shows and in several magazines in the US as well as overseas. As a recognized expert on the latest advances in facial plastic surgery techniques, Dr. Rizk was inducted into The Rhinoplasty Society, a non-profit organization comprised of the most respected nasal surgeons in the world.
An Artistic Approach
Dr. Rizk has developed his own techniques and published methods for customizing his procedures to the patient's facial structure and degree of aging, as opposed to a one-size-fits-all approach.
As more and more young patients and male patients are requesting cosmetic facial procedures, Dr. Rizk believes his newer techniques are better tailored to them. To that end, Dr. Rizk authored some landmark articles on facelift/rhinoplasty/blepharoplasty surgery, describing new techniques to be applied differently to younger versus older patients.
Training and Expertise
Dr. Rizk has attended some of the most prestigious universities in the country and developed his surgical skills at New York's best hospitals. His training includes an accelerated honors program at the University of Michigan Medical School in Ann Arbor where he received his medical degree. He completed competitive programs at New York Hospital, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, Lenox Hill Hospital, and Manhattan Eye, Ear and Throat Hospital. Finally, he completed an American Academy of Facial Plastic Surgery certified fellowship in facial plastic surgery in California before opening a private practice in New York.
Dr. Rizk has been recognized for his humanitarian efforts, performing free reconstructive surgery and operating on those in need. An active member of the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (AAFPRS) FACE-TO-FACE Program, Dr. Rizk uses his surgical expertise to improve lives. Dr. Rizk is also on the medical advisory board of Little Baby Face Foundation.
- Manhattan Eye, Ear and Throat Hospital - NY
- Lenox Hill Hospital - NY
DEGREES AND PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
- Undergraduate School: University of Michigan in Ann Arbor
- Graduate School: University of Michigan Medical School
- Residency: Manhattan Eye, Ear and Throat, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York Hospital
- Fellowships: General Plastic Surgery
- Fellowship Hospital: American Academy Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- 1995 New York, License 198258
- 1996 New Jersey, License 63977
- 1999 California, License G085001 (expired)
- Faculty of American College of Surgeons
- American Board of Facial Plastic Surgery
- American Board of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery
- Internship/Residency, Department of General Surgery Lenox Hill Hospital, New York, 1998-1999 Residency, Department of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery, Manhattan Eye, Ear, and Throat Hospital, and New York Hospital, (NY)
- Rotations: Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York Hospital-Cornell Medical Center, Lenox Hill Hospital, Chief Resident, 1998-1999)
- Fellowship Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery - American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery accredited fellowship, California
CONTINUED MEDICAL EDUCATION
- 1995 Advanced Facial Soft Tissue Surgery Workshop - Manhattan Eye, Ear and Throat Hospital
- 1998 Laser Applications For The Office Setting - Manhattan Eye, Ear and Throat Hospital
- 1997 Advanced Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery Course - Manhattan Eye, Ear and Throat Hospital
- 2001 Symposium on Latest Advances in Cosmetic Surgery of the Face - Newport Beach, CA
- 2002 Rhinoplasty Course - University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
- 2003 American Academy of Facial Plastic Surgery Winter Symposium - Snowmass, CO
- 2004 American Academy of Facial Plastic Surgery Annual Meeting - New York, NY
- 2005 Rhinoplasty Course - University of Chicago, Chicago
- 2005 American Academy of Facial Plastic Surgery Annual Meeting, CA
- American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Faculty of American College of Surgeons (FACS)
- American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery
- New York Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Society
- Medical Society of the State of New York
- New Jersey Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Member of Face-to-Face Committee AAFPRS (2008-2011)
- Member of Emerging Technology Committee AAFPRS (2008-2011)
- The Rhinoplasty Society, Inc.
- American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery accredited fellowship, California
HONORS AND AWARDS
- 2003-2018 Selected as a Top Doctors listed in Castle Connolly's Top Doctors: New York Metro Area
- 2009 Chosen as Castle Connolly Top Doctors: New York Metro Area 12th Edition (selection process is by peers only)
- 2003-2005 Castle Connolly - Included in America’s Top Cosmetic Docs - Facial Plastic Surgery - Who's Who In America
- 1998-1999 Residency - Chief Resident of Manhattan Eye, Ear, and Throat Hospital
- 1996 Panel Moderator - Northeast Society of Plastic Surgeons Rhinoplasty Panel
- 1993 University of Michigan Graduation - Basic Science Research Award
- 1990 NIH Research Grant Fellowship Awardee
- 1988-1989 University of Michigan Research Fellowship Awardee
- 1986-1989 Dean’s Honor List - University of Michigan
- 1986 William J. Branstrom Award (upper 5% of college freshmen)
- 1984 Harvard University Scholarship
- Golden Key National Honor Society - University of Michigan
- Faculty - American College of Surgeons (FACS)
- Patient's Choice Award
- Men of Achievement Award
CONFERENCES AND LECTURES
- Technology and Rhinoplasty: Instrumentation We Have Found Useful for Improving Accuracy in Nasal Bridge Reduction as Well as Cartilage Sculpting - Presenter at the Vegas Cosmetic Surgery 2012 Conference and Panel Moderator for Considerations in Ethnic Rhinoplasty, Las Vegas, June 2012
- Latest Advances in Facelift/Neck Lift Surgery - Presented at the FACE Conference and Exhibition, London, UK, June 2012
- Latest Advances in Rhinoplasty Surgery - Presented at the International Federation of Facial Plastic Surgery Societies (IFPSS) Conference, Rome, Italy, May 2012
- High Definition Modern Approaches to Minimally Invasive Natural Rhinoplasty - Presenter and Panel Moderator “Rhinoplasty New Techniques” at the Brazilian Society of Plastic Surgeon Conference, San Paulo, Brazil, 2009
- Airway Evaluation Before Rhinoplasty and Prevention of Airway Problems After Rhinoplasty - Lecturer and Panelist at Rhinoplasty Society - ASAPS Meeting, Orlando, FL, April 2006
- Challenging Rhinoplasty - AAFPRS Winter Symposium, Snowmass, CO, February 2003
- Rhinoplasty - My Preferred Technique - Northeast Society of Plastic Surgeons, Washington, DC, 1996
- Rhinoplasty - Rapid Recovery Technique - American Academy of Facial Plastic Surgery, Los Angeles, CA, 2005
- Algorithm for Analysis and Correction of Nasal Tip Deformities in Revision Rhinoplasty - American Academy of Facial Plastic Surgery, Los Angeles, CA, 2005
- Endonasal Rhinoplasty Techniques - Northeast Society of Plastic Surgeons - Panel Leader, Washington, DC. Published in Annals of Plastic Surgery, April 1997 - Vol.38, Number 4-PP-323-329.
- Instructor - “The Art of Rhinoplasty” - A Practical Rhinoplasty Course - Director, Leslie Bernstein, M.D - U.C. San Francisco Medical School, California, November 12th-15th, 1999
- Customized Facelift Approach - Presented as Course at International Facial Plastic Surgery Conference, FL, 2010
- Invited as Rhinoplasty Panel Moderator/Lecturer on Rhinoplasty in the 21st Century - At International Conference of the Brazilian Society of Plastic Surgeons, November 2009, San Paulo, Brazil
- Endotine Use in the Modern Rapid Recovery Facelift - Featured guest speaker at FACE meeting at the Royal College Of Physicians, June 13, 2009, London, UK
- Course Director - Live Surgery Workshop - Latest Advances in Three-Dimensional, High-Definition Rapid Recovery Facelift, and neck lift Surgery - Course Sponsored by American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery (AACS), Park Avenue Facial Surgery, New York, NY, June 2009
- Rapid Recovery Facelift/Neck Lift with Tissue Glue - American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Annual Winter Symposium, Telluride, Colorado, January 2009
- New Technique in Male Facelift and Neck Lift Surgery for Natural Outcome with Parotid Reduction - Invited lecturer to American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery Annual Conference, Arizona, January 2009
- Latest Advances in Facelift and Neck Lift Surgery - Grand Rounds Invited Lecturer At Lenox Hill Hospital, NY, New York, October 2008
- Customized Facelift Approach - A New Concept in Facial Plastic Surgery - Grand Rounds Invited lecturer at New York Hospital, Department of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery, February 2007
- Rapid Recovery Facelifts - Annual Meeting - American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, May 2004
- Algorithm for Facelifts - Customizing the Lift to the Patient’s Anatomy - American Academy of Facial Plastic Surgery National Meeting, September 2004
- Rapid Recovery Facelifts - American Academy of Facial Plastic Surgery National Meeting, September 2004
- Challenging Revision Rhinoplasty, Rapid Recovery Rhinoplasty - American Academy of Facial Plastic Surgery National Conference, September 2005
PRESENTATIONS AND MEETINGS
- Honored Guest Speaker at the Harmonie Club: Advances in Facial Plastic Surgery, December 2, 2013
- 14th Annual Mount Sinai Symposium: Advances in Medical and Surgical Dermatology, December 9-11, 2011
- Rapid Recovery Facelift With Tissue Glues - AAFPRS, January 2009
- New Technique for Male Facelift - AACS, January 2009
- Grand Round Invited Guest Lecturer at Lenox Hill Hospital - Latest Advances in Facelift Surgery, September 22, 2008
- Grand Round Invited Guest Lecturer at NYP-Cornell - Customizing Facelift to the Patient's Degree of Aging, February 1, 2007
- Winter Symposium - Sponsored by the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive
- Surgery - Snowmass, CO, February 2003
- The Long Nose Short
- Scar Facelift and Tissue Glue
- Facial Plastic Surgery Forum - Manhattan Eye, Ear and Throat Hospital
- Facelift Anatomy and Avoiding Complications in Deep Plane and SMAS Facelifts - Blepharoplasty - The Art and Science of Blepharoplasty - Artistic Sculpturing of the Eye for a Natural, Rejuvenated Result, February 1998
- Grand Rounds - Lenox Hill Hospital - Department of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery - Division of Facial Plastic Surgery
- Facelifts - Which Facelift Technique to Choose When? Based On Patient’s Anatomy and Degree of Aging, February 2003
- Algorithm for Lower Eyelid Rejuvenation, October 2002
- Revision Rhinoplasty - Open Versus Closed Techniques - When to Utilize Which Technique for Optimal Results, February 2004
- Northeast Society of Plastic Surgeons Annual National Conference
- 1996 - Concurrent Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery and Rhinoplasty Panel Moderator On - “Rhinoplasty Forum - Aesthetic and Functional Issues”, Washington, DC
- 2001 - Lower Eyelid Blepharoplasty: An Algorithm for the Analysis of Indications And Treatment, October, Philadelphia, PA Panel Moderator On –“Lower Eyelid Blepharoplasty - Indications and Techniques”
- Facial Plastics and Reconstructive Surgery Instructor - Manhattan Eye, Ear and Throat Hospital (New York) - Panel Discussions:
- 1995 - Facial Plastics Photography and Cephalometrics
- 1996 - Blepharoplasty: Analysis, Preoperative and Postoperative Care
- 1997 - Brow Lifts: Endoscopic vs. Conventional Techniques
- 1998 - Facelifts: Preoperative Assessment, Techniques and Complications
- American Rhinologic Society Annual Meeting (Washington, DC)
- 1996 Invasive Fungal Sinusitis in Immunocompromised Patients
- International Symposium on Phonosurgery (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1996 Type I Thyroplasty for Unilateral Vocal Cord Paralysis in Intrathoracic Malignancy
- American Academy of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery Annual Meeting (San Francisco, CA)
- 1997 Bilateral Simultaneous Orbital Decompression for Graves’ Orbitopathy Using a Combined Endoscopic and Caldwell-Luc Approach
- 1997 Expression of VLA Integrins in a Recurrent Pleomorphic Adenoma Cell Line
- American Society of Head and Neck Surgery Annual Meeting
- 1997 - Arytenoid Adduction as an Adjunct to Type I Thyroplasty for Unilateral Vocal Cord Paralysis
- 1990 - Vascularized and Conventional Interposition Nerve Grafts- a Histomorphologic Comparison in the Rabbit
- Grand Rounds - Lenox Hill Hospital, Department of General Surgery (New York, NY)
- 1994 Laryngeal Carcinoma
- 1995 Parotid Gland Tumors
- Grand Rounds - Lenox Hill Hospital, Department of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery (New York, NY)
- 1996 Cervical Teratomas- a Case Report and Literature Review
- 1999 Cutaneous Melanoma
- 1999 Otolaryngologic Manifestations of Gastroesophageal Reflux
- Head and Neck Gross Anatomy Dissection Course - Cornell Medical School (New York, NY)
- 1995 Topographic Head and Neck Anatomy, Triangles of the Neck, Fascial Planes, Deep Neck Space Infections
- 1996 Thyroid and Parathyroids, Trachea, Bronchi, Esophagus
- 1997 Blepharoplasty Techniques and the Orbit
- 1998 Facelift Flap, Nasal dissection, Osteoplastic Flap
PROFESSIONAL JOURNAL PUBLICATIONS
- Rizk, SS. Ethnic Rhinoplasty Pearls - A Natural Approach to Ethnic Preservation Rhinoplasty - Published in Plastic Surgery Practice Journal, January 2011.
- Rizk, SS. Customized Facelift and Rhinoplasty – The Surgical Artist - Published as Cover Story in Plastic Surgery Practice Journal, November 2009.
- Rizk, SS. Rhinoplasty in 3D – A High Definition Approach to Natural Nasal Beauty - Published in Plastic Surgery Practice, November 2009; 22,23.
- Rizk, SS. New Cartilage Sculpting Techniques for a Smoother Result in Primary and Revision Rhinoplasty - Submitted to Archives of Facial Plastic Surgery - Pending Publication, 2010.
- Rizk, SS., Zimm J. - A New Customized Facelift Approach to Achieve a Natural Result - Submitted to Aesthetic Surgery Journal - Pending Publication, 2010.
- Rizk, SS. Successful Management of Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus Orbital Cellulitis After Blepharoplasty. Published in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Journal, December 2010; 126(6): 305-307.
- Rizk, SS. Latest Advances in Facelift - Plastic Surgery Practice Journal, November 2009; 10-11, 16.
- Rizk, SS. Latest Advances in Facelifting/neck lifting - Plastic Surgery Practice Journal, December 2008.
- Rizk SS., Zoumalan R. - Tissue Glue in Deep Plane Facelifts - Archives of Facial Plastic Surgery
- Rizk SS, Matarasso, A - Short Scar Facelift with Use of Fibrin Sealant - Dermatologic Clinics 2005; 23: 495-504.
- Rizk SS, Bernstein Leslie - The Incidence of Hematoma in Facelifts with an Open Postauricular Incision as a Drain. Archives of Facial Plastic Surgery, December 2010.
- Rizk SS, Rosenberg D. - Algorithm for Analysis and Correction of Nasal Tip Deformities in Revision Rhinoplasty - Presentation Accepted for AAFPRS Meeting, CA, September 2005.
- Rizk SS, Edelstein DR, Matarasso A. - Concurrent Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery and Rhinoplasty, Annals of Plastic Surgery 1997; 38: 323-329.
- Rizk SS, Edelstein DR, Matarasso A. Concurrent Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery and Rhinoplasty - Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery - International Abstracts 1998; 102: 2280-2281.
- Rizk SS. Rapid Recovery Rhinoplasty - Presentation and Accepted for Publication in Archives of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery.
- Rizk SS. Hemifacial Atrophy - A Case Report and Analysis - Submitted to Archives of Facial Plastic Surgery.
- Romo III T, Rizk SS, Suh J. - Mucous Cyst Formation Following Rhinoplasty - Archives of Facial Plastic Surgery 1999; 1: 208-211.
- Rizk SS, Papageorge A, Sacks E. Bilateral Simultaneous Orbital Decompression for Graves’ Orbitopathy Using a Combined Endoscopic and Caldwell- Luc Approach. Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery 2000; 122: 216-221.
- Rizk SS, Matarasso, A. - Lower Eyelid Blepharoplasty: Analysis of Indications and the Treatment of 100 Patients. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 2003;111: 1299-1306. Also a Presentation at the Northeast Society of Plastic Surgeons Conference, October 2001, Philadelphia, PA (Selected for PRESS RELEASE 3/03).
- Kraus D, Orlikoff R, Rizk SS, et al. - Arytenoid Adduction as an Adjunct to Type I Thyroplasty for Unilateral Vocal Cord Paralysis. Head and Neck 1999; 21: 52-59.
- Myers MW, Quirk WS, Rizk SS, Miller JM, Altschuler RA. Expression of the Major Mammalian Stress Protein in the Rat Cochlea Following Transient Ischemia. Laryngoscope 1992; 102: 981-98. Recipient First Prize- Basic Science Research Category (Middle States Triological Society).
- Rizk SS, Schoenberg ED, Castronuovo JJ, Filippone AL. - The Effectiveness and Cost of Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation for the Relief of Postoperative Pain - American Journal of Pain Management 1992; 2: 138-142.
- Rizk SS, Komisar A, Kacker A. - Need for Tracheostomy is Rare in Patients with Acute Supraglottitis: Findings of a Retrospective Study. ENT Journal 2000;79: 952-957.
- Rizk SS, Kraus D, Gersheim G, Mudan S. - Aggressive Combination Treatment for Invasive Fungal Sinusitis in Immunocompromised Patients ENT Journal 2000;79: 278-285.
- Tadros M, Rizk SS, Opher E, Thompson LR.- Polymorphous Hemangioendothelioma of the Neck - Annals of Diagnostic Pathology - In-Press.
- Steiner, MG, Rizk SS, Kuhel WI - Expression of VLA (B1) Integrins in a Recurrent Pleomorphic Adenoma Cell Line - Laryngoscope.
- Rizk SS. Expression of VLA (B1) - Integrins in a Recurrent Pleomorphic Adenoma Cell Line. Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery, August 1997; 117: 80.
- Restoring the Drooping Tip and Hanging Columella in Revision Rhinoplasty. Zimm A.J., Rizk S.S., 2013
- Short Scar Facelift with the Use of Fibrin Sealant. Matarasso, A., Rizk, S.S., & Markowitz, J.S. (2005) Dermatologic Clinics, 23 3, 495-504, vii.
- Book Chapter Published: Short Scar facelifts and Tissue Glue, Tissue Glues In Cosmetic Surgery. Matarasso, A, Rizk, SS. ed. By Renato Saltz & Dean Toriumi. QMP Medical Publishers, October 2003.
*Results may vary
Last Modified On: 16/12/2019