Perioral Rejuvenation in NYC
The lips are one of the primary features of the facial area known as the perioral region, which also includes the chin and nasolabial folds. Unfortunately, changes to this area that are due to aging can cause the lips to appear thinner, with a flatter profile and less curvature. Over time, the youthful diamond shape of our younger lips becomes more horizontal, giving us a more aged look.
Dr. Rizk, a double board-certified facial plastic surgeon, conducts NYC lip lifts by making an incision along the curvature of the base of the nose. A strip of skin is removed and the lip is lifted and the incision is closed. A lip lift is often performed in conjunction with a facelift, neck lift or both. Lip enhancements can correct an upper lip that is too long and enhance its pink portion at the same time, resulting in a fuller appearance. The procedure also lifts the lip’s position with regard to the teeth, creating a broader smile. This, in turn, results in a more aesthetically pleasing, youthful appearance throughout the perioral area.
Types of Lip Lifts Available at Dr. Rizk’s Practice
The perioral region is typically addressed in facial rejuvenation to achieve a balanced, more youthful appearance. The main thing that distinguishes the types of lip lifts is the placement of incisions. Your particular lip lift procedure will depend on your specific needs and anatomy. Following are several types of lip lifts performed in New York:
- Gull-wing lip lift: This type of lip lift involves a “gull-wing” or M-shaped incision along the vermilion (border) of the upper lip. It is performed to extend the border of the lip. The gull-wing lip lift can leave a visible scar; so it is not the ideal choice for most patients or surgeons.
- Bull-horn lip lift: As with the gull-wing lip lift, the name of the bull-horn lip lift comes from the shape of the incision. During this type of lip lift, the incision is placed at the base of the nose. The bull-horn lip lift is performed to shorten the distance between the upper lip and the nose.
- Corner lip lift: This lip lift procedure involves an incision at the oral commissures or corners of the upper lip. It is performed to correct a drooping outer corner of the mouth, which can result in a “sad” appearance.
- Italian lip lift: The Italian lip lift is similar to the bull-horn lip lift except that it involves two incisions at the base of each nostril instead of one long one.
Are You a Candidate for a Lip Lift with Dr. Rizk?
Dr. Rizk uses certain anatomical landmarks to define balance in the perioral region. These landmarks include:
- The upper lip is extended to the subnasale, which is the base of the nose.
- The lower lip is separated from the chin by the mentolabial sulcus.
- The cheek-lip grooves mark the lateral boundary of the perioral region.
- The upper lip comprises one-third of the perioral region, whereas the lower lip and chin make up two thirds.
A change in this ratio is typically seen with age when the upper lip elongates. Therefore, if any of the following applies to you, you may be a good candidate for an NYC lip lift with Dr. Rizk:
- Your lips have become flat and thin with age
- You have noticed an increase in the length of your nasolabial folds over time
- You feel like your aging lips are making you look sad or angry
- Your lips appear unbalanced
- Your upper lip appears to be too long
- You are simply dissatisfied with the appearance of your lips
Accurate preoperative assessment is essential for successful perioral rejuvenation in New York. Very often, the perioral area can be addressed at the same time as a facelift or neck lift. The addition of surgical or laser procedures or fillers depends on the patient’s aesthetic goals.
In some cases, you may be able to achieve your aesthetic goals through a less-invasive procedure involving injectable fillers. However, if you would like to achieve a more permanent result, a lip lift is likely your best bet.
Lip Augmentation or Enlargement
Fat injections for lip augmentation is a safe and effective method of enlarging lips with a low complication rate. The fat is harvested from a donor site such as the anterior abdomen or thighs and then purified and filtered and then injected with microscopic cannulas.
Although uncommon, disadvantages or possible complications of a fat transfer or lip injection may include yellow discoloration to the lips, and variable absorption or resorption leading to possible irregularities or lumpiness. In these cases, repeated injections may be necessary to even out irregular areas.
Shortening a Long Upper Lip
Laxity of the tissue with age results in elongation of the upper lip. However, the shortening of a long upper lip can be accomplished by lip advancement and subnasale lip lift.
Lip advancement is preferred by Dr. Rizk over a subnasale lip lift in cases where the cupid’s bow is not well defined or where the vermilion border is not sharp. Both techniques result in a shortened upper lip and allow some eversion of the upper lip and incisor show.
Why Should You Choose Dr. Rizk for Lip Lift Surgery?
Dr. Rizk is an experienced New York lip lift surgeon who has been featured on numerous top doctor lists. Double board-certified by the American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery and the American Board of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, he is an expert in facial plastic surgery, including all forms of lip lift.
Furthermore, Dr. Rizk is a diplomate of numerous medical boards, including the National Board of Medical Examiners, the Faculty of American College of Surgeons, the American Board of Facial Plastic Surgery and the American Board of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery. He is also an active member of the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (AAFPRS). If you want to learn more about his lip lift procedures in New York, contact his practice and book a consultation today.
Written by Dr. Sam Rizk